Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:57:23 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new rc.network6 and rc.firewall6

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 06:04 +0700, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, David O'Brien wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 04:23:40PM +0700, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > > Why can't I simply write kill -1 `cat
> > > /var/run/sendmail.pid`?
> >
> > What about deamons that don't understand `kill -HUP'?
> > Sendmail didn't until very reciently.
> > ``/etc/rc.d/some-deamon restart'' does the right thing
> > reguardless how involved that might be.
>
> Though I see your point, actually, many UNIX books, including
> some pretty old ones, refer to sending HUP signal as standard
> way of restarting/resetting daemons.

Please tell the software authors about it, too. :)  Although
there might be some form of convention, not everyone might follow
it (some might not be able even if they tried without breaking
established behaviour).  Wrapping those services will make
starting, stopping, reloading, querying status and whatever you
usually do to them easy and consistent for the user again.

BTW:  Do you know all the pidfile names and locations by heart?
Across every version and platform you are running / taking care
of?

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net