Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:03:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
To:        Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Job Control

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> Lets say I put a job in the background and then exit the shell (csh) and
> then open another shell, how do I get that background possess back into
> the foreground in the new shell?

There's no way basic UNIX way to do that. Maybe you can find something in
the ports collection concerning saving and re-opening complete terminal
sessions.

> Also:
>
> %ll
> drwxr-xr-x   2 nbritton  nbritton  -  512 Nov 22 04:40 test/
> -rw-r--r--       1 nbritton  nbritton  -      0 Nov 22 04:40 test.tgz
> %cd t*
> t*: Ambiguous.
> %cd test.tgz
> test.tgz: Not a directory.
> %
>
> So whens is it possible to cd into a file or is cd really that stupid?

cd expects one and only one argument, so cd t* gives you a warning because
is ambiguous. Where is the problem? :-)

Regards

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheuer2@gwdg.de