Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 21:44:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Robert Huff <rhuff@cybercom.net>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PALcode

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Robert Huff wrote:

> Terry Lambert writes:
>
> >  CGD's point about this maybe not being important really stands or
> >  falls based on what hardware is going to be commonly available,
> >  and what PLA code comes loaded.
>
> 	As someone whose only stake is as a (very) interested potential
> customer ... I would accept - in fact, would prefer - moderate
> limitations on the hardware base if it means better internal
> dynamics (and by extension less grief in developing the initial and
> subsequent kernels, etc.).

I have no intention of using the NT/ARC palcode since it imposes
unacceptable limitations (32bit address space, sicko NT process semantics
etc).

The palcode is not the same as the firmware though.  We may use the
ARC/AlphaBIOS firmware to load the kernel in the future and then switch
from ARC palcode to our own palcode (which will be very similar to OSF
palcode), probably derived from the MILO palcode (not GPL as far as I
know).

Does anyone know what proportion of alpha boxes sold run Linux/*BSD
instead of NT?  It might be worthwhile for Compaq to put a copy of the OSF
palcode into the AlphaBIOS firmware to make life easier for Linux/*BSD.
Wait a second - that makes too much sense :-(.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039