Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:38:58 -0700
From:      "j telford" <jtelford@visto.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dump/Restore disk to disk trouble

First, I'm quite new at this.
2 Seagate 8 GB SCSI Ultra Wide off an Adptec 2940 UW.
FeeBSD 3.4

Complete new setup and no extra data on drives that didn't come with the=20
install CD.

I realized I wanted to turn my /usr 16 GB slice into a vinum mirror to th=
e=20
other drive so I thought I could use dump/restore commands first move /us=
r to a=20
small 1 gb slice, create the vinum slice and copy it back. Also gives me =
good=20
experience playing with dump/restore and vinum before turning users loose=
 on=20
the box.
Well and I'm done playing and now need some help please.
I searched back through some other posts and attempted the following:

Current /usr slice da0s1f
Create new slice on da1s1f
Boot to single user mode
fsck -y /
fsck -y /dev/da0s1f
fsck -y /dev/da1s1f
Clean on all

mount -u /
mount /dev/da1s1f /mnt

=46rom this point I tried 2 different dump/restore commands, both seem to=
 have=20
trouble with the restore portion.

Attempt 1
dump -0f - /dev/da0s1f | (cd /mnt; restore -xf -)

We get past "Dump:dumping (Pass iv) "=20
Then a multiple of ' <file name> cannot create file no such directory ' e=
rrors.
Then a multiple of ' <file name> cannot create hard link no such director=
y '=20
errors.
Then : set owner . y/n: I answer y

/mnt now appears to contain some of the sub-directory tree but not all of=
 it.

Attempt 2
dump -0f - /dev/da0s1f | restore -rf -
Gets past 'dump:dumping (Pass IV) again then after a few minutes then a=20
multitude of file names with the error 'unable to create device not confi=
gured'
fopen: device not configured.
another pause with a message 'invalidating pack'
and finally 'cannot create savefile ./resoresymtable for symbol table'

I have also tried doing the dump and restore separately and can create a =
dump=20
file on disk but the restore from disk file runs for a bit then asks for =
a tape=20
which I can't get around.

Any thoughts ??
Thanks, John...