Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 18:05:32 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        jrclark@netview.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: system reports to root

> I used to really enjoy getting those system email reports to the root
> account.  For some reason they have stopped coming.  Would anyone have any
> idea why, what I did?  I am not very good with cron so it is hard to say.

The commands need to have their output piped into sendmail:-

0    2       *       *       *       root    /etc/daily 2>&1 | sendmail root
30   3       *       *       6       root    /etc/weekly 2>&1 | sendmail root
30   5       1       *       *       root    /etc/monthly 2>&1 | sendmail root

> While on this subject, should I enable this code?
>
> #find / ! -fstype local -a -prune -o \
> #       \( -name '[#,]*' -o -name '.#*' -o -name a.out -o -name *.core \
> #          -o -name '*.CKP' -o -name '.emacs_[0-9]*' \) \
> #               -a -atime +3 -exec rm -f -- {} \;
>
> I am not at all sure what all it wants to prune!

That sounds like a very good reason not to enable it! 8-)

It's basically intended to clear out temporary files left behind by
Emacs if it wasn't closed cleanly, core files and various other junk
that tends to accumulate on disks. However, enabling it can open a
security hole, which is why it's commented out by default. I believe
2.2-current's version of this file has a note before this code that
explains this.

I'd recommend leaving it well alone unless you know exactly what
you're doing.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk