Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 15:06:32 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Change password

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:14:01AM -0600, Robert D. Hughes wrote:
> login as root, passwd <userid> to re-establish a password.

No-one has pointed out a few pertinent things here ... :)
- It is exceedingly unlikely that FBSD has *forgotten* your
  password ( we will gloss over the fact that FBSD actually does
  not know what your password is, only what it's encrypted form is)
- Leaving the following possibilities...
- You left yourself logged in as root and some villain changed your
  password while you were playing the flute
- Ditto the last, but someone else has the root password and did it that
  way (perhaps while you were re-stringing your banjo)
- The password file is corrupt. Also unlikely, and even more unlikely
  that the corruption singled out your user ID and apparently not the
  entry for "root" to corrupt
- There is a trojan horse on your system that changed your password
- You have been cracked
- The year 2002 broke the encryption algorithm for your particular
  combination of lower case, upper case, number(s) and special
  characters (which your password contained of course)
- And most likely of all, you simply forgot it.

try "trustno1" :)

--
Regards
Cliff