Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:10:39 -0500
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Object Dependencies

At 10:33 AM 3/20/97 +1030, Michael Smith wrote:
>dennis stands accused of saying:
>> >
>> >Er, Dennis.  While I understand your pique, this isn't very helpful.
>> >Would you prhaps care to share with us an example that would help in
>> >_fixing_ this?
>> in files.i386:
>>
>> i386/isa/filename.o	optional	dn device-driver
>>
>> in configuration file:
>>
>> device dn0 at isa? port 0x240 net irq 11 vector dnintr
>>
>> generates the following dependency in the Makefile in the build
directory....

>> filename.o:
>> 	-cp $S/i386/isa/filename.o .
>>
>> which should clearly be.....
>>
>> filename.o: $S/i386/isa/filename.o
>> 	-cp $S/i386/isa/filename.o .
>

>Er, no it doesn't.  To wit :
>
>  files.i386:
>
>i386/isa/mdsio.c                optional        mdsio   device-driver
>
>  kernel config:
>
>device          mdsio0  at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 10 vector mdsiointr
>
>  Makefile:
>
>mdsio.o: $S/i386/isa/mdsio.c
>        ${DRIVER_C}
>
>This is on a 2.2 system.  I have been taking advantage of the fact that
>these dependancies _do_ work (and the opt_foo.h stuff too) to simplify
>maintaining a number of kernels in parallel.
>
>Are you doing 'make depend' after you config your kernel?  It _is_
>necessary in order to generate the dependancies.  Sorry about not
>replying last night; I ran out of typing juice 8(

the example you gave is a source/object dependecy, which works.
I believe that config somehow generates the dependency in the
Makefile, and that has to come from the files.i386 declaration.What
I'm saying is that it doesn't generate the correct Makefile entry
when the file is an object module.

Dennis