Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 13:42:41 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem compiling for linux under compat_linux

> If I use /compat/linux/usr/bin/gcc to compile anything other that very
> trivial c program sources located on an NFS mounted filesystem I get
> broken executables which seg fault.  This same source code compiles
> correctly when located on a local filesystem.  This problem does not occur
> when compiling trivial sources such as "Hello World".

Can you build non-trivial FreeBSD programs on an NFS-mounted filesystem?

It's not clear to me how this could be an emulation-related problem
just yet.  (Possibly an mmap() incompatability?)

Could you compile the smallest non-trivial program that generates the
undesired symptoms both on a local and non-local filesystem and compare
the two?  It would be very useful to know what was different between
the two.

mike