Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/24374: New port: a display-based tetris game

The following reply was made to PR ports/24374; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To: Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:38:53 -0800

 > > # This archive contains:
 > > #
 > > #	tetris
 >
 > A search of http://tess.uspto.gov/ shows that "Tetris" is a trademark for
 > a brand of video game.  The company that owns the mark is in the habit of
 > threatening people who clone their game (even those who don't use the name
 > "Tetris").  There used to be a port called xtetris, which has vanished in
 > one of the great purges but left a trace in old revisions of ports/LEGAL.
 > It seems to be customary to avoid calling games of this type "Tetris".  I
 > suggest following the custom by giving the port a different name.

 Very well.  Should I just rename the port, or devise a way (regexp,
 patches, or otherwise) to replace all occurrences of the word 'tetris'
 in any files fetched?  It seems the other ports mostly prefer the
 former; some (most?) even have 'tetris' in their comment and
 description.

 I should also note that both OpenBSD and NetBSD come with this game in
 the base system.  In fact, this port checks out the sources from
 OpenBSD's repository.

 					Dima Dorfman
 					dima@unixfreak.org