Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:14:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>
To:        Aled Morris <aledm@qix.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Subject:   Re: serial console com1 to com1 == login race condition?

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Aled Morris wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> >My money is on the hacked CR-greedy getty, though...
>
> Why not bring up ppp or slip on the line permanently 10.0.0.1 -> 10.0.0.2
>
> Maybe you could bind a standalone telnetd to that IP only?

The point is to be able to get in even when the machine is no longer
responding to network traffic.  Serial consoles are also nice for being
able to break to the debugger and do your best to sync the disks before
forcing a panic when there's no other way to bring the machine down.  My
question to Dan is, is there a reason you can't have two null modem
cables strung between these machines?

i.e. Machine1::Com1->Machine2::Com2 && Machine2::Com1->Machine1->Com2

This way you avoid the issue entirely.  If these are 1U servers which
for some reason only have one COM port, you could look at USB to serial
adapters.  I don't think the driver support is quite there in FreeBSD
yet but it would be a good excuse to get one's feet wet with the USB
subsystem and I'm sure those folks would be glad to help since I think
USB serial converters are fairly high on their todo list.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
http://www.geekpunk.net                         bandix@geekpunk.net