Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:36:30 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Hamish Archer <hamish.archer@peace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs lockd?

In the last episode (Jul 27), Hamish Archer said:
> I have just installed a shiny new copy of FreeBSD...
>
> I really need to use rpc.lockd but I am little put off by the line in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf....
>
> rpc_lockd_enable="NO"   # Run NFS rpc.lockd (*broken!*) if nfs_server.
>
> I have turned it on and tested it. All seems OK. Can anyone tell me
> what is broken?

Have you actually tested that it locks? :)  I.e. try and lock the same
file from different machines.

From the CVS log:
date: 1996/02/17 15:11:29;  author: peter;  state: Exp;  lines: +0 -0

 Import Jan 15 version of Andrew Gordon <andrew.gordon@net-tel.co.uk>'s
 stub lockd. This implements just the protocol, but does not interact
 with the kernel. It says "Yes!" to all requests.  This is useful if
 you have people using tools that do locking for no reason (eg: some PC
 NFS systems running some Microsoft products) and will happily report
 they couldn't lock the file and merrily proceed anyway.  Running this
 will not change the reliability of sharing files, it'll just keep it
 out of everybody's face.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com