Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 18:31:19 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        rinunez@telcel.net.ve (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ricardo_N=FA=F1ez?=)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Atapi CD-ROM

> Dear Gentlemen,
>
> Iīve just installed FreeBSD 2.2.1 from a DOS partition.
>
> I have an IDE (ATAPI?) CD-ROM: Creative CD-ROM Drive. Itīs installed via a
> Sound Blaster card.
>
> The documentation told me to make a boot floppy with FLOPPIES\ATAPI.FLP...
> Whereīs that? Itīs not in my CD-ROM, and itīs not in the FreeBSD FTP
> server. Well all I can say itīs not in FreeBSD 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 directories.

Where did you get the documentation from? Its outdated since FreeBSD 2.1.5
(August '96). Since then the ATAPI support is merged in the boot.flp kernel.
If your doc is the `The Complete FreeBSD Book' you should get the erratas.
It is posted on this mailing list regularly. You can search for it in the
mailing list archives at http://www.freebsd.org. (And be impressed by
the new looks of our web site :-)

> OK. The second point is that Iīm trying my FreeBSD already installed to
> detect it. Well I understand MATCDC0 driver is for my CD-ROM... It canīt
> detect it.

The matcd driver does *not* support ATAPI CDs. They connect through an
IDE interface and are controlled by the wdc/wcd drivers. So you'll have to
find out if you have an IDE interface or a proprietary Matsushita-Panasonic
type of interface.

The matcd driver supports only CR-562-x and CR-563-x devices, not
CR-522-x or CR-523-x drives!
You can find out more about it in the drivers man page. (man matcd)
If you don't have a running FreeBSD system you can find the man page
at our http://www.freebsd.org. (Again be impressed :-))

Hope this helps you

Wolfgang