Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 09:37:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fdisk Special Feature We CAN do Without

I call it ``Teach'em To Be Careful'' (TTTBC):

This feature makes sure you look and look again and your screen before you
press ENTER.  It also teaches you the value of fast, reliable and up to
date backup.

How does it work?  So simple you do not have to learn it at all!  It does
it all by itself?

How do you evaluate/activate this feature?  Simply type ``fdisk some
nonsense''  Fdisk will promptly wipe out your boot disk partitioning table.
 Just to make sure you stay alert, it will not tell you.  How will you find
out?  Oh, when you boot your system next.  It wouldn't!

This feature is actually documented!  It says clearly in the man page that
if you do not specify what drive to partition, it will partition your boot
drive.

Now, if you want to make SURE you activate this feature, do:

  fdisk -f some_file_that_has_partitioning_data nonsense

This will do it for sure.  Every time.  I know.  I tried.

Happy Re-installing!

Simon