Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 10:06:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Y chromosomes [ Was: Java-based Crypto Decoder Ring ...]

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Gregory Sutter wrote:

> Well, there are also issues with people having multiples of the X
> chromosome, too.  So a person could have XXY or even XXXY.  Or more
> X's, but people with a large number of additional chromosomes don't
> usually survive long.  (Most aren't born alive.)  Someone else
> reminded me that these (overmany X and overmany Y chromosomes) are
> known as Turner's and Klinefelter's syndromes, but I've forgotten
> which is which.

Multi Y is Klinefelter's.  Did research on it for a biology class once.
Double Y's tend to be aggressive, and have varying degrees of mental
retardation (including none).  The genitalia are undersized, and tend to
be only nominally functional.  The research I did at the time (1984)
showed that %30 of a random sampling of violent criminals in the prison
system were YY's.  The suggestion at the time was that improper cell
splits early in gestation were the cause.

> > >If you want to know more, flip through an introductory genetics book;
> > >the resulting knowledge may intrigue you, will almost certainly
> > >disgust you, but hopefully will also instill you with a sense of awe
> > >at the amazing systems that make us "us".  Evolution is cool. :)
> >
> > Humanity is a genetic cesspool, not the pinnacle of darwinian evolution :)
>
> We do carry some undesirable genes and gene sets, but as a whole,
> we're pretty amazing systems.  There _is_ no pinnacle of Darwinian
> evolution, though.  Perfection is awfully difficult to achieve, don't
> you agree?

So, where I get the version of FreeBSD that runs on organic computers?

Jamie Bowden

--
Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)