Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 22:22:56 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Palle Girgensohn" <girgen@partitur.se>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multiple Apache ports

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
> I've been fiddling with making much of the apache static modules as DSO.
> This seems to work fine for most stuff (havn't tried fp, and mod_ssl
> still needs patching of the apache sources). Hence, if removing the
> separate ports for stuff that can be done as DSO, one gets down to three
> apache ports pretty easily. It's better than now. Theese three could
> then be put together somehow...
>
> I have a working port for php, but it needs some cleaning up. One
> problem is that it cannot depend on one single apache, since the
> original apache install might be with ssl (apache or httpsd), with
> frontpage or plain...
>
> I can send it to you for review, or to gnats btw... have to tidy it up a
> bit first.

You may want to check out the NetBSD package tree (ports to us FreeBSD
folks).  They have already solved the apache DSO problem for most of the
main apache modules (ap-auth-cookies, ap-fastcgi, ap-perl, ap-php3, ap-ssl).

I have the apache (w/mod_ssl EAPI and frontpage patches) port and ap-ssl
module port converted.  My next goal is to make the ap-frontpage module
port.

  Also, NetBSD has the php3 port broken up into a main port (php3) and
module ports (php3-gd, php3-ldap, php3-mysql, php3-pgsql, php3-snmp).  This
allows one to install the main PHP3 port and then decide if the want to
install gd, ldap, snmp support and decide on which database to use (mysql or
pgsql)  without having to recompile the entire PHP3 port.

Scot