Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:50:55 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why does this sendmail connection take so long?

dan> I am using ipf with "pass out from any to any/pass out from any to
dan> any".

Unfortunately, I use ipfw/ip6fw so I don't know if my guesses are correct.

That rule only appears to handle outbound connections (therefore allowing
the sendmail client to open an outbound connection to the localhost
sendmail server).  It does not allow for inbound connections (thereby
allowing the incoming connection).  Perhaps what you need is also:

echo 'pass in quick on lo0' > /etc/ipf6.rules
echo 'pass out quick on lo0' >> /etc/ipf6.rules
ipf -6 -f /etc/ipf6.rules

Note the -6 for the IPv6 rules (which appear to be kept separate from the
IPv4 rules).

Again, I'm just guessing at ipf usage but you get the idea (I hope).