Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:26:35 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        FreeBSD Prospect <mailings.freebsd@o0l0o.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possibility to submit requests for new ports?

On Feb 6, 2006, at 4:07 PM, FreeBSD Prospect wrote:
> I was wondering, if there is any communication channel to request
> new ports.

Yes, the freebsd-ports mailing list.

> I mean, isn't it likely, that a FreeBSD user (not a codergeek able
> to create
> ports himself) is looking for some software, which is available
> open-source
> for Linux, but hasn't been ported yet?

Well, there are ~ 14,000 ports already available.
Most people find software they want already ported via this page,
Freshports, etc:

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/categories-grouped.html

> Wouldn't it be useful, to have an own mailing list for that?
>
> Or is freebsd-ports thought to be suiteable for that matter (I am
> subscribed
> to that mailing-list, but didn't see much traffic until now, and no
> port
> requests at all)?

Requests for new software to be ported happens about once a week.
Most ports are created or changed without traffic to that list; it
gets busier if there are problems, especially with an important port
that many things depend upon...

--
-Chuck