Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:12:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Gregory D. Moncreaff" <moncrg@ma.ultranet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NETCCITT sources

<<On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:21:12 -0500, "Gregory D. Moncreaff" <moncrg@ma.ultranet.com> said:

> Hey, I offerred to [help] maintain netiso's OSI,
> I guess no one was interested...

It's more than that -- even with a maintainer on board (and such
people have an unfortunate tendency to drift away over time), there is
still a significant maintenance headache for anyone making major
changes to the structure of the kernel.  Either they have to go
through rounds of tedious interchange with all the outside maintainers
of various bits, or they have to do all the work themselves.  Speaking
as someone who has gone through this a number of times, it's not fun
and either way often leaves bits of the kernel broken for undesirably
long periods.

>From our perspective, if something isn't widely-enough used that
people will notice its breaking, we are better off having it
maintained outside our tree -- that way, we're not stuck with the
burden of maintaining something none of us use or can verify
functionally.

-GAWollman