Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:14:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@nuxi.com
Subject:   Re: Even more interesting NFS problems..

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Jordan K.
Hubbard had to walk into mine and say:

> > Why is it clearly broken?  proto=tcp,vers=3 is what is in 3.0-RELEASE,
> > Amd in 3.0 works for many.  I won't defend that the new Amd works the
> > best with us, but then neither did the old Amd.
>
> Erm, I haven't tried it between 3.0 and 3.0 boxes because all my test
> environments currently involve one of each (4.0 and 3.0), but I can
> certainly say that in none of these test environments does amd work at
> all.  On freefall, for example, it's really simple to demonstrate the
> error.  First, we start amd:
>
> # amd -a /net -c 1800 -k i386 -d freebsd.org -l syslog /host /etc/amd.map

Err.... On all of the machines where I use amd, I don't use -l syslog.
I use -l /tmp/.automsg (or some other filename that lusers aren't likely
to trip over). You get _MUCH_ more information this way. I strongly
suggest trying this and observing the results when you try to automount
something.

I've found that am-utils is much more verbose than previous versions of
amd so you may not want to leave it that way permanently, but you can't
beat it for troubleshooting.

-Bill