Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 19:04:01 -0700
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   medium error

(please include my address in responses, I'm not on -scsi)

I had a disk go bad on me while installing a new one - unfortunately it had
a few things on it that are worth trying to salvage the disk for (items
that backups didn't save).  At this point all I'm getting when I try to
talk to it is "Medium format error - device not configured" errors to the
console, although the SCSI card can identify it properly, even get the
manufacturer & model #.  All tools, from disklabel to fdisk, fail to do
anything, causing the above error message.  Am I outta luck?  Is it beyond
the OS at this point?  Are there any shops in the Bay Area that will
re-seat the platters into a new drive housing for a reasonable fee?

This was a Seagate 15230N, by the way.

Thanks!

	Brian