Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 20:46:03 -0500
From:      "Robert Myers" <ccrider@whiterose.net>
To:        "'JSMolinaro'" <JSMolinaro@hotmail.com>, "'FreeBSD'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: MS Win / BSD

> I'm trying to get FreeBSD installed on my pc and I'm having
> trouble.  I've
> got a dual boot with MS Windows 2000 Professional and Windows
> ME.  I also
> got a partitioned disk, two hard drives with 2000
> professional on one and
> Win ME onl the other.

	I am running 4.2-RELEASE on my laptop with win2k, not sure
how everything works with ME though.

> I've got the cd and I've tried booting from it, my pc bios
> supports that but
> I cannot get anywhere when I boot up in DOS and try to run
> INSTALL from the
> cd, only VIEW works but then I am at a loss of what to do b/c
> most of the
> files are .TXT with a few exceptions that don't seem to get
> any installation
> process started.

	Not sure what is happening here, you can't get anywhere with the
installation
or the CD doesn't do anything when you try to boot it?

> In addition, I have zipped the two files MFSROOT.FLP &
> KERN.FLP on floppies
> but I am unsure on how to actually incorporate them into the
> boot process,
> I've look at all the installation pages on the web site, I even have a
> reference book to help but I am not understanding totally.

	See this link: http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-guide.html

	There is some detailed help in there on how exactly to create the
bootdisks,
	in short, you need a utility to write those images to disk.

I hope that helps.

Robert Myers
Systems Administrator
White Rose Internet Service