Date:      Tue, 20 May 2003 21:00:13 +0200
From:      Grzegorz Czaplinski <G.Czaplinski@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl>
To:        lasse <lasse.lindgren@home.se>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handling of ports, and naming convention?

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 05:30:16PM +0200, lasse wrote:
> Hello!=20
> A fresh installation of 5.0 are now up and running, there are som issues =
that i wonder about=20
> 1. I must be able to login by the serial port, but i cant by default, why=
? and here can i cange it?
> 2. Ports, how do i know i i got the latest set of ports? and if there are=
 new ports out, can i upgrade all ports in one step? (apt-get dist-upgrade)=
 (the debian way)
> 3. Where can i  find a good howto about recompile the kernel? (step by st=
ep, but not for dummies)
> 4. Are there any i-left-linux-for-bsd guides? ide,serial,scsi namingconve=
ntios ?

Hi there!
All of your questions are already answered in the handbook.
OK, I will help you with question 1 and 4.

1. Go here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/term.html
4. Go there:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks.html

For better understanding read all from=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Cheers,
	Grzegorz
--