Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 09:46:08 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   snd_maestro3 module

I am using the snd-maestro3.ko module on a Dell Inspiron 4000 running
4-stable (about 3 weeks old). The chipset is ESS Maestro 3.

I have tried various apps to record sound from the soundcard, with the
same results. I tired my own code (which works fine on another 4-stable
system with the SB16 driver), I tried gramophile and waveplay (waverec)
from ports.

In every case, the recording takes longer than the time specified, ie;
you spec 10 seconds, it runs for 18 seconds, and the resulting recording
is higher in pitch and noisy. I think what is happening is that the read
of /dev/dsp is not always returning, hence it takes longer to get the
calculated number of samples, and then the output file is missing data
and the remaining data, represents a longer time span, therefore it plays
back at a higher pitch and contains clicks where the missing bits are.

Playback apps run just fine.

Has any one else had this problem? Is it just me?

Here is the boot message:

pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem
0xfbffe000-0xfbffffff irq 5 at device 8.0 on pci0

-Jim Durham