Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 06:37:51 -0700
From:      "Tim Pushor" <timp@orion.ab.ca>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Using FreeBSD as a router

 Hello,

Is there anyone who is using freebsd as a multi-interface IP router
successfully? I am questioning its ability to perform under heavy load with
multiple network interfaces, as well as the total number of interfaces
possible/probable.

>From the ethernet side, does anybody know of a maximum number of PCI 10/100
network interfaces that FreeBSD could possibly support? I currently am using
3com 3c905 10/100 network cards. Therotically a single PCI bus could support
multiple cards easily.

>From the serial side, I have seen a dual ISA serial card that can handle two
T1+ full duplex connections. This would be sufficient for me I think, but
would render the ISA bus maxxed for other things (such as RS232 serial
mulitport cards or any other ISA interfaces).

I guess I am basically looking for a testimonial from someone who is
currently using FreeBSD as a stand-alone router with multiple interfaces and
would like to get a run down of hardware they have used/tried etc.

Thanks,
Tim