Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 14:06:09 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A note on snap950322 install -- lnc0 support

> I tried to install snap950322 on a system with an Ether-32VL ethernet
> card. This card uses the lnc driver. Two points about the install
> kernel and procedures:
>
> - the kernel on the disk look for the card at io 0x280, int 5;
>   the card, by default, is at io 0x300, int 3, and, at least mine
>   CANNOT be configured at 0x280 (the reason is probably that it seems
>   to use a lot of IO ports). I used kernel -c to change this, but it
>   would be nicer if the default choices in the kernel were pointing to
>   a realistic address.

We could add a second entry I suppose but different cards have different
defaults and changing to 0x300 would just cause the same complaints from
other lnc users. The solution is to either use -c or build a new kernel.

If there are a lot of people with the same problem then we'll have to look
at adding a second lnc driver at the alternate address for installation
purposes.

> - the install scripts seems to lack an entry for lnc cards. I'd suggest
>   two things: 1) obviously, add the entry in the install scripts, 2)
>   add a "blank" entry where the user can specify its own adapter name,
>   to overcome the problem in case a new adapter is not supported.

This was an oversight which is being fixed, Poul/Jordan ?

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/