Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 01:23:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Joel Eusebio <joel@tilapia.pang.pworld.net.ph>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: applications

If you hope to install something like apache from source code, you have a
couple options.  You can either install it from the FreeBSD ports
collection or download the tarball from apache.org.  The first one of the
two is the easiest.  If you do not have the ports collection installed,
you can install it with /stand/sysinstall.

After you have the ports collection ready, you will find it at
/usr/ports.  Briefly, the ports collection is a skeleton of 1000's of
applications you can easily install on your FreeBSD box.  Any patches that
are needed to make the general source code work for FreeBSD will be
applied automatically during the simple install process.

There are a few options for installing an apache server.  You can look
around to decide what you want.  The basic server is at...

/usr/ports/www/apache13

Go to the directory and run the following command.

make
make install

These two commands will download apache 1.3 source code, compile all
binaries and place all new files where they belong, including placing man
pages and docs on your FreeBSD box where you can make use of them.

Since I like to work apache into my own configuration with mod_perl and
mod_rewrite I do not like using the ports collection to install apache.

If you want to install it directly from the source so you can use the
APACI system to install apache with additional modules, you can follow the
install instructions in the INSTALL file.  The instructions are rather
detailed as there are many things that you can do.

In fact, there are so many things that you can do that I created several
scripts for different kinds of installs.  One compiles in mod_perl with
suid, another for mod_jserv and mod_perl and other variations.  It took
some time to learn to do it right, but it really is very interesting.

Once you compile apache a few times you will be able to tackle other
applications more easily.

Good Luck!

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?