Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 16:42:34 +0200
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
To:        Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X on my laptop

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 01:48:18AM -0400, Gerard Samuel wrote:
> When my laptop isn't connected to the network X takes forever to load.
> I read a post about this about it a while ago, but I cannot find it now.
> Im running XFree 4.2.0 on FBSD 4.6 via startx.
> What needs to be set to disable the network routines?

Dunno what exactly has to be done to disable X's network routines, and
I generally think that such a thing would not be really possible,
since its whole client/server arch. But I may be completely wrong. I
can only suggest that you check your /etc/hosts file. There should be
the entries for your hostnames and IP-Addresses. I've found that wrong
entries in there often cause problems like the ones you describe. Not
only with X but also with sendmail, samba, ssh, etc.

Generally, /etc/hosts seems to be underestimated by most people and
admins I know...

But don't quote me on that.

HTH
regards