Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 14:35:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fixit floppy trouble on -current 3.0

As Andreas Klemm wrote:

> As it looks to me, I wouldn't be able to get my system recovered.

Well, you would -- but not out of the box. ;-)  I think you're
experienced enough to work around the problems...

> First of all some experiences using MAKEDEV in /mnt2/dev of the fixit
> floppy:
> 	./MAKEDEV doesn't run, since #!/bin/sh isn't in the search path.
> 	so I have to use it typing
> 	sh MAKEDEV

I used to type `sh MAKEDEV' all the time since the script wasn't
executable at all in previous versions.  But you're right, there
should be a symlink for /bin/sh anyway.

> 'sh MAKEDEV somedevice' fails, because expr can't be found.
> expr is located somewhere in /mnt2/stand or such, if I remember right.

Ähem... well, all this rather looks like another cry for a working
DEVFS. ;-)  To hack around the problem, we should perhaps simply
comment out the PATH line in MAKEDEV on the fixit floppy.  This can
be done as part of the build process using some sed magic.

> So the 1st task was to try to create the devices rsd0s3e and so on.
> MAKEDEV complained about no space left ....
>
> Well, a df -i shows this numbers:
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused  M. on
> root_device      1319     1137      182      86%   101     281     26%  /
> /dev/fd0         1095     1051       44      96%   381     193     66%  /mnt2

That's surprising.  There should be enough i-nodes left.  Well, yet
another cry for DEVFS. ;) There's no ``works for everybody'' solution,
so you should probably edit the fixit floppy before to include the
device nodes you need (and remove stuff you don't need).  The only bad
thing is that the device nodes appear as /mnt2/dev/node then unless
you chroot to the fixit floppy (which is IMHO a bad idea since you
need some of the stuff from the root MFS).

--
cheers, J"org