Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 17:11:58 +1100
From:      John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *HEADS UP* Important change warning. (long version)

Mike Smith wrote:
> Operating systems aren't normally expected to assist their users with
> their own personal delusions.

Can't let this one pass, 'Symbolic links' :)

>  - It makes writing code to manipulate disk partitioning information
>    quite difficult.
>  - It makes it completely impossible to boot both FreeBSD and NetBSD
>    off the same disk.
>  - It leads to sysinstall being forced to create the "mess" you refer to
>    in /etc/fstab
>  - It leads to people abusing the compatability slice like you describe.

Hmm. I knew there was some kludges going on with the old scheme but
this really drives home the reasons for change to me (I was going to
install NetBSD at some stage).

Don't know why some people get so emotional about the name of a device.
If FreeBSD is to move forward we all must accept that change is
inevitable. Mike also did a good job of warning us before hand.

I also suspect that if you stuff up the make world you could still
boot up in single user mode and correct the situation since it
doesn't read /etc/fstab. Or reboot with the old kernel as suggested.

One question. What should be put in the kernel config file for the
line that normally reads "kernel on wd0a"? Or doesn't it matter
too much?

Cheers.
      .   | John Saunders   mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au  (Work) |
  ,--_|\  |                 mailto:john@nlc.net.au              (Home) |
 /  Oz  \ |                 http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/               |
 \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED  Phone +61 2 9428 9563  Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
       v  |    "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends."   |