Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 06:05:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        Bradley Reynolds <weasel@temp.harborcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Data Recovery

> I was wondering if someone out there could help me with a
> data recovery problem.  It seems that the disklabel on one
> of our scsi drives magically disappeared.
>
> Does anyone know any data recovery shops that are experienced
> with freeBSD (if possible, with this issue)?

the minix partition editor is a god-send, it only modifies the partition
info and not any structures in the partitions, if you remeber the size of
the partition and make SURE ABSOLUTELY NOT to use "newfs" ie new file
system (a.k.a. format) if you do the data will be gone, but if you do
remeber the size of the partition EXACTLY :) you might be able to use the
disklable program to fix it, if you have one large partition it's as easy
as pie.

Alfred
perlsta@sunyit.edu