Date:      Wed, 03 Sep 1997 20:55:54 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: exiting shell and PPP security, authentication

> My problem:
>
> 1. Users get a connection established without problems, but:
>
> 2. When a connection is closed the shell stays open (somehow the shell
>    does not seem to exit properly when the ppp process dies). In any case,
>    the tty is tyed up, and the modem will not answer the line anymore - or
>    even worse, will allow a user to get a ppp connection without any
>    authentication!

Remove the script and make it an alias or a function or something
like that.  This will get rid of the unnecessary parent shell:

$ cat >>.profile <<eof
pppmode(){
  tt=$(tty)
  exec /usr/sbin/ppp -direct ${tt##*/}
}
eof

> 3. I would prefer not to have to create duplicate accounts for every one
>    of my users who wishes to connect via ppp (and set the shell of their
>    ppp accounts to be the script above - this setup never hangs...) and
>    neither would I like to use the ppp.secret method.

$ cat >.profile <<eof
. /home/service
eof
$ cat >/home/service <<eof
tt=$(tty)
echo -n "Service: "
read svc
test "$svc" = ppp && exec /usr/sbin/ppp -direct ${tt##*/}
eof

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;