Date:      13 Feb 2001 08:29:06 -0500
From:      Greg Troxel <gdt@fnord.ir.bbn.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd in 4.2-STABLE

Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org> writes:

> In message <200102120843.f1C8hhM03375@earth.backplane.com> Matt Dillon writes:
> :     ... or maybe installworld should just check to see if /etc/pam.conf is
> :     the unmodified older version and overwrite it with /usr/src/etc/pam.conf
> :     by default, rather then create little gotchas for people trying to
> :     upgrade.  Hmmmmmm.

> This would violate POLA worse than having it break, I think.

The Debian package system does something like this, and I found it
very helpful for the brief time I ran a GNU/Linux system.  IIRC,
packages distinguished between regular files (that weren't expected to
change) and configuration files.  When upgrading to a new version of a
package, the rule was that if a config file was unchanged (same md5)
from the installed package, it was replaced by the new version.  If
changed, the user was asked to merge/cope.  Also, config files were
left on pkg_delete (well, dpkg --remove), unless one asked to have
them removed.

I realize we are talking about the base system, but the concept is the
same.  This could perhaps be done by having a db of md5 sums of files
under /etc that were 'installed' from the source tree (installworld,
from-scratch install, mergemaster, automatic upgrade), and have
upgrade procedures replace files that match (and that therefore have
not been modified).

While realizing that the instructions which tell you to merge /etc are
clear:
To me, POLA says that if I install 3.3, don't muck with stuff, and
upgrade to 4.2, then I should have 4.2 without having to think about
stuff I never mucked with (it's fair enough to have to understand
stuff I changed).

        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>