Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2017 21:20:26 +0300
From:      Esa Karkkainen <ekarkkai@pp.htv.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shift ada device numbers?

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 06:31:04PM +0200, Luciano Mannucci wrote:

> Hello all,

Hello,

> I have a FreeBSD 10.3 RELEASE machine whith root on zfs on two discs
> and a "standalone" SSD holding database data. I noticed that if I move
> the SSD disk to another SATA controller it becomes ada0 and the members
> of the zfs are shifted to ada1 and ada2, and the system doesn't work:
> in fact it stops at boot because I've put the swap on the ssd and it
> can't find it anymore.
>
> Is there a way to control whichnumbers are assigned to the disks at
> boot time?

To the best of my knowledge, you can not change disk adapter or disk
drive names in FreeBSD. The only way I know, is to change the physical
locations of host bus adapters and moving the SATA cables between
drives.

I would either change the swap device name in /etc/fstab or label the
swap device, which may require you to repartitioning of the swap device,
because glabel(8) uses the last sector.

Best regards,

Esa

--
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."