Date:      Wed, 8 May 2013 08:35:18 +1000
From:      "Dewayne Geraghty" <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        "'Mikolaj Golub'" <trociny@freebsd.org>, "=?iso-8859-1?Q?'G=F6ran_L=F6wkrantz'?=" <goran.lowkrantz@ismobile.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, 'Kostik Belousov' <kib@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Nullfs leaks i-nodes

Hi Goran,

After I included Kib's vnode caching patch the performance on my "port =
builder" machine, decreased significantly.  The "port
builder" is one of many jails and nullfs is used extensively. I was =
starving the system of vnodes.  Increasing the kern.maxvnodes,
resulted in better performance than the original system configuration =
without vnode caching. Thanks Kib :)

I don't think you'll run out of vnodes as it is self adjusting (that was =
my concern too)

I changed kern.maxvnode to approx 3 times what it wanted and tuned for =
my needs.
Try it and keep an eye on:
sysctl vfs.numvnodes vfs.wantfreevnodes vfs.freevnodes =
vm.stats.vm.v_vnodepgsout vm.stats.vm.v_vnodepgsin

Regards, Dewayne