Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Guolin Cheng <chenggl@yahoo.com>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reserved ports too limited for amd (automount) on FreeBSD 4.1

Matt Heckaman,

 Thanks. But in fact, I already added the following lines into the file
/etc/sysctl.conf:

net.inet.ip.portrange.lowfirst=2023
net.inet.ip.portrange.first=2024

But net.inet.ip.portrange.lowfirst is still 1023!! although
net.inet.ip.portrange.first was changed into 2024 (this is of no use..:(( ),
so when I use amd, the sockets still use reserved ports.(you can use netstat -a
command to show the TCP/UDP ports in use) and make my machine crazy and die.

 I want to know if we can find a configuration option to instruct amd NOT to
use reserved ports by deafault.. Thanks.

Yours sincerely,

Guolin Cheng

--- Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET> wrote:

> This is what you're looking for:
>
> net.inet.ip.portrange.lowfirst: 1023
> net.inet.ip.portrange.lowlast: 600
> net.inet.ip.portrange.first: 1024
> net.inet.ip.portrange.last: 5000
>
> I don't see why they could not be adjusted.. Ie; moving portrange.first to
> 2048, then changing portrange.lowfirst to 2047... (with sysctl -w)
>
> If you aren't familiar with sysctl, it works like this:
>
> # sysctl -w net.inet.ip.portrange.lowfirst=2047
> # sysctl -w net.inet.ip.portrange.first=2048
>
> No reboot required. To make them stick after reboots, just put them in
> /etc/sysctl.conf like:
>
> net.inet.ip.portrange.lowfirst=2047
> net.inet.ip.portrange.first=2048
>
> Cheers,
> Matt
>
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Guolin Cheng wrote:
> :
> : Hi, all,
> :
> :
> :  I encountered a problem with amd(which using reserved ports by default) on
> : FreeBSD box, the version is FreeBSD 4.1.
> :  /guolin> uname -v
> :  FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE #0: Fri Sep 29 18:31:50 GMT 2000
> : /usr/src/sys/compile/ALEXA
> :
> :
> :  The problem is:
> :
> :  I want to mount more than 800 entries using amd at the same time on a
> freeBSD
> : machines, but since the FreeBSD4.1 's amd using reserved ports by default
> for
> : security reasons,  there's only (1023-600+1)=424 reserved ports available
> at
> : most!, so it always report error:
> :
> :  amd: ALL PORTS IN USE..
> :
> :  because all the reserved ports are used up!!
> :
> :  So, could anyone tell me a method to change the default configuration
> setting
> : of amd??? so that I can use non-deserved ports instead?
> :
> :  I tried to edited the file /sys/netinet/in.h, change the parameter
> : IPPORT_RESERVED to 2024 from 1024,recompile and restart, but the amd
> services
> : can NOT run normally!
> :
> :  How to set the amd functions or change it back to a older version?? any
> ideas?
> :
> :  Thanks.
> :
> [...]