Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:29:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Edd Barrett <edd@arameus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: desktop freebsd??

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Edd Barrett wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have been using freebsd for my web/database/music server for a while and
> it has performed flawlessly. good good! However recently I installed freebsd
> on my desktop too. I can do the things I want to, it just seems that i need
> to be root to do a lot of things. If I didnt have root, I would be screwed.
>
> Also is there any guides online that tell you how freebsd can be configured
> as a desktop machine?
What exactly should your desktop machine be able to do?
(I guess you are looking for graphical user enviroment like gnome
or kde, but there are dozens of possiblities in the ports tree.
And, if you like you also can do many things from the command line
using troff, vi, mail, lynx, mc and friends)

Regards,

Uli.