Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 16:38:36 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem compiling for linux under compat_linux

> > Can you build non-trivial FreeBSD programs on an NFS-mounted filesystem?
>
> Yes, I have no trouble building non-trivial native FreeBSD executables
> from NFS-mounted filesystems.

OK.  That prettymuch rules out lower-level NFS problems.

> as a statically linked ELF instead of a dynmically linked ELF.  A real
> linux system can also link the object files generated by compat_linux or
> by itself regardless of whether they are local or on an NFS filesystem.

This is very helpful to know.

> I've generated ktrace.out files of the "ld" step under compat_linux for
> the case which succeeds on local but fails on NFS.  The ktrace.out files
> differ and are 1MB each.  Unfortunately, I am not very versed in how to
> interpret them with kdump.  If someone would like to help me out and have
> a look at them I would be happy to make them available at our ftp site.

Ktrace is very bad at handling non-FreeBSD binaries; more exactly kdump
doesn't get the system call names right.  Interpreting such a dump is
not a trivial chore.

> I agree with you in having touble seeing how this can be an emulation
> problem.  I'm not trying to claim that it is, just that I've found
> evidence of something rotten in the state of Denmark.  I do feel that I
> have been careful and diligent up to this point in narrowing down the
> problem to clear-cut cases of success and failure, the critical factor
> seeming to be the presence or absence of an NFS filesystem in the
> scenario.

It seems to me that you have narrowed the window very well; my current
suspicion would have to be that this is related to mmap()ing of NFS
files, and possibly a behavioural incompatability that's slipped by.

> I'll be away from e-mail till Sept. 30 so I hope I can resurrect our
> useful discussion of this matter when I return.

Please do; if you could come back with details on which version of
FreeBSD you're running etc. that'd be handy too.

mike