Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:09:21 -0500
From:      "freebsd" <brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ata/100 controller

I have three hard drives in my freebsd machine.
a maxtor,wd and seagate. They show as being dma 2 , ultra dma 2 and ultra
dma 4.

This is from when booting up
ad0: 1223MB <ST51270A> [2485/16/63] at ata0-master WDMA2
ad1: 4104MB <WDC AC34300L> [8896/15/63] at ata0-slave WDMA2
ata1-master: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 compliant cable
ad2: 12982MB <Maxtor 91360U4> [26377/16/63] at ata1-master PIO4
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

I get alot of timeout errors:

ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done

 and the part about non ata66 complaint cable. I assumed that the timeouts
were from the FreeBsd detecting these higher/faster hd and they were
connected to a regular onboard hd controller.
so I went a bought a maxtor utlra pci ata/100 controller. I connected all 3
drives. removed them from the bios standard setup and rebooted. All 3 drives
are found. System starts to boot then I run into a problem were it ask for
me to manual  enter the root bootfile system.  I have no clue or idea what
it is asking for ?

I did a while back do a tune -nfs  on all the drives thinking that might
remove the problem but it did nothing that I know of.

I really can not afford to lose the data on the drives and I would reallly
like to see if the controller will take care of these timeout problems so I
am not sure what I have to do to get the system to boot with the ultra 100
controller.
What would I put in the line for root filesystem ? doing a ? gives me a list
of options but no idea.

thanks
mark