Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:07:19 -0400
From:      Rob Furphy <rcf@ox.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Pre-alpha JDK 1.2.2 TimeZone (time) bug fixed!

Hello all,

I really did some digging and I have solved the problem with the JDK for
freebsd not figuring
out the correct timezone (and ultimately never having the correct
time).  This fixes the time
but the locale is still not quite correct (I get "America/Santiago"
instead of "America/New_York").
At least the time is now correct.  Perhaps that can be fixed at a later
date.

I don't know the formal way to get this into the next patchset but here
is the fix:

in src/freebsd/native/java/lang/java_props_md.c at line 283 you'll find

#ifdef __FreeBSD__ /*** XXX ***/
        hasDST = local_tm->tm_isdst;
        offset = local_tm->tm_gmtoff;
#else
        hasDST = daylight == 0 ? kStandard : kDaylight;
        offset = timezone / -60; /* Conventions reversed between UNIX &
Java */
#endif

change this to:

#ifdef __FreeBSD__ /*** XXX ***/
        hasDST = local_tm->tm_isdst;
        offset = local_tm->tm_gmtoff / 60;         /**** Here's the
changed line ****/
#else
        hasDST = daylight == 0 ? kStandard : kDaylight;
        offset = timezone / -60; /* Conventions reversed between UNIX &
Java */
#endif

Rob F