Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 23:57:56 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        eirikn@bluezone.no
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel hacking

Eirik Nygaard wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 08:06:21PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Eirik Nygaard wrote:
> > > I want to start recodeing the FreeBSD kernel, just for fun.
> >
> > What do you intend to do?
> >
> > > Are there any good kernel hacking guides?
> >
> > It depends: what do you intend to do?
>
> I really just want to learn more about the kernel, since my C skills is
> not godd enough. I can't make something usefull yet, but I want to learn.

The word "recoding" implies that you want to rewrite the code
from scratch.

If you wanted to do something else, then you need to pick it;
otherwise we can all probably mail-bomb you with thousands of
suggestions, based on 20/20 hindsight.  We all know what we
would do different, if we had it all to do over again.

If you just want to learn about some part, then you need to
pick the part you want to learn about first, look at the code,
and ask questions about what you don't understand, when you
run into it.

If you already know some other system pretty well, then the
easiest thing to do is to take some code you know, and port
it to FreeBSD, or, if that's too complicated, then compare it
with code already in FreeBSD.

-- Terry