Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 22:06:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a way to do this using ls command ?

Joss Roots wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > hi there,
 > I am trying to make a shell script get the names
 > of directories from a certain path;
 > [...]
 > 1. don't include, or otherwise strip, all entries
 > that are NOT directories, so as NOT to save them
 > in the generated output file
 > for example ls -F | grep /
 > (but this will output a trailing / after each and
 > every directory name), so how to strip this
 > can this be done using sed, or something else ?

ls -F | sed -n s./..p

That will give you all directories and strip the slashes at the
same time.

 > 2. Remove certain directory entries form the
 > list, for  example CVS/ , pkg/
 > before saving the final output to the file.

Just pipe the above through an appropriate grep command:

... | egrep '^(CVS|pkg)$'

 > 3. the list must be sequential listing one entry
 > on a seperate line. (like issuing simple ls)

The above does exactly that.  Use shell direction to store the
output in a file:

... > output_file

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)