Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2003 06:30:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jonathan Lennox <lennox@cs.columbia.edu>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/58687: gethostbyname leaks kqueue file descriptors with pthreads and static linking

The following reply was made to PR bin/58687; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jonathan Lennox <lennox@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:20:06 -0500

 On Thursday, October 30 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

 > On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 11:31:45AM -0500, Jonathan Lennox wrote:
 >
 > > In -CURRENT, this problem does not occur if you use dynamic libc and libc_r,
 > > though it does in 5.1-RELEASE.
 >
 > I'm confused..are you saying the problem does not exist in -CURRENT,
 > or it still does in restricted circumstances?

 In -CURRENT it exists in restricted circumstances -- i.e. it only occurs if
 you're using a static libc and libc_r, because of the -pg or -static flags
 to gcc.

 In 5.1-RELEASE it occurs any time you're using libc_r.  This was fixed by
 mp@FreeBSD.org with a patch on 2003-07-25, but the fix doesn't work for the
 static library case.  My patch extends mp's fix so it covers the static
 library case as well.