Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:44:48 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Summerfield <summer@OS2.ami.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dedicated disks (was: Dangerously Dedicated)

On Monday, 20 November 2000 at 18:03:27 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> grog@lemis.com said:
>> On Sunday, 19 November 2000 at 23:57:25 -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 02:53:04PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote: >> >> If
>> it shows valid partitions, you're using a Microsoft partition table.
>>                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Greg, can you read English??  Can you comprehend it??  Are you bind
>> and in
>> a write-only mode??
>> For the last time IT IS NOT A MICROSOFT PARTITION TABLE but a PC BIOS
>> PARTITION TABLE AND DICTATED BY THE INTEL x86 PLATFORM.  THEY ARE ALSO
>> REQUIRED BY THE IA-64 PLATFORM. >
>> Why do you *insist* on calling it a "Microsoft partition table"??
>
>> Hmm.  I was going to say "Because it was introduced with Microsoft
>> 2.0", but I'm no longer so sure.  Reading the MS-DOS 2.11 source code,
>> it seems that they didn't have a partition table at the time.  Can
>> anybody remember when it was introduced?
>
> Nothing to do with the PC BIOS:
> 1. The PC did not support fixed disks (introduced with the XT). The PC
> understood floppy disks and cassette tape.

Well, yes, there were various PCs.  I was implicitly referring to the
XT in this case.

> 2. The BIOS has enough intelligence to read the first sector from a disk and
> then jmp into it. This sector is called the Master Boot Record, and it
> contains the original partition table and code with enough intelligence to
> find the active partition, read a teensy bit of it (using BIOS calls) and pass
> control to the code read in this manner.
>
> If you want a dedicated BSD disk, you replace this code with equivalent code
> to find where BSD lives. Or Solaris.
>
> In the original implementation of these partitions, one could have no more
> than four. Of these, only one could be active and so PCDOS/MSDOS didn't need
> code to navigate much partition table.
>
> As to who concocted it, it was Microsoft and/or IBM.
>
> What uses this format natively? All the DOS family down to Windows 2000|ME and
> OS/2. And Linux. And the CP/M family.
>
> There is some dissension wrt extended partitions - MS keeps on introducing new
> codes for partition types.

Thanks for the summary.  I think you're inaccurate in stating that it
has nothing to do with the PC BIOS, however.  Agreed, that wasn't the
origin, but this whole issue has come to a head because of BIOS
involvement.

> Here are the partition types Linux fdisk recognises:
>
> [root@emu /root]# fdisk
> Using /dev/hda as default device!
>
> Command (m for help): l
>
>  0  Empty            c  Win95 FAT32 (LB 64  Novell Netware  a6  OpenBSD
>  1  DOS 12-bit FAT   e  Win95 FAT16 (LB 65  Novell Netware  a7  NEXTSTEP
>  2  XENIX root       f  Win95 Extended  75  PC/IX           b7  BSDI fs
>  3  XENIX usr       11  Hidden DOS FAT1 80  Old MINIX       b8  BSDI swap
>  4  DOS 16-bit <32M 14  Hidden DOS FAT1 81  Linux/MINIX     c7  Syrinx
>  5  Extended        16  Hidden DOS FAT1 82  Linux swap      db  CP/M
>  6  DOS 16-bit >=32 17  Hidden OS/2 HPF 83  Linux native    e1  DOS access
>  7  OS/2 HPFS       40  Venix 80286     85  Linux extended  e3  DOS R/O
>  8  AIX             41  PPC PReP Boot   93  Amoeba          eb  BeOS fs
>  9  AIX bootable    51  Novell?         94  Amoeba BBT      f2  DOS secondary
>  a  OS/2 Boot Manag 52  Microport       a5  BSD/386         ff  BBT
>  b  Win95 FAT32     63  GNU HURD
>
> Command (m for help):
>
> How many are used natively, and how many under sufferance, I do not know.
>
> Note: this table is not completely accurate: the OS/2 definition of 0x07 is
> "installable filesystem." It's usually HPFS, but need not be.

There are other inaccuracies.  It calls the FreeBSD partition type
"BSD/386", and it doesn't know NetBSD (169/0xa9) and BSDi (forgotten
which number).  I've been meaning to submit patches for a while.

Greg