Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:44:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US Encryption Export Rules Loosen

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> See the San Jose Mercury News (www.sjmercury.com) for good coverage.
>
> By the way, we shouldn't stand up and applaud just yet. It turns out
> that the Commerce Department still wants to approve each product
> individually, even though a Federal judge (Patel) has ruled that this
> is a prior restraint on free speech and thus violates the First Amendment.

	That's not even close to what he ruled. The rulings to date have
explicitly ignored the question of products and concentrated on the
exportation of source code, and the necessity of such exportation to the
efficacious discussion of the advancement of the science of cryptography
(hence the free speech connection).

Doug