Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 1996 14:44:51 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird bug in /etc/group -related library functions

At 12:35 PM 12/12/96 +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>Hi,
>
>yesterday we have experienced a weird bug related to an invalid
>/etc/group. I'll submit a PR as soon as I have more detailed info, but
>the thing was as follows:

>1) by mistake an invalid line was inserted in /etc/group. But we
>   did not know...

[description of extremely unstable system deleted]

We had the same problem once - however, that wasn't with a garbage line, it
was with a line containing user-id's not registered at that machine.  (Both
the group and the passwd file was copied from another server, and then a
lot of accounts were deleted)
I didn't report it back then, as the problem occurred in a snapshot, and
the box was a bit unstable anyway (bad motherboard).  But the problem was
defineatly there.  (This was a snapshot of current a while before 2.1.5 was
released, for anybody wanting more specifics)

--
Eivind Eklund             gopher://nic.follonett.no:79/0eivind
Work: eivind@dimaga.com   http://www.dimaga.com/