Date:      Mon, 16 May 2005 21:04:11 +0100
From:      Chris Hodgins <christopher.hodgins@gmail.com>
To:        Moy Easwaran <moy@tiresias.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie: fonts &c.

On 5/16/05, Moy Easwaran <moy@tiresias.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response.
>=20
> freetype is already being loaded.
>=20
> pkg_add -r webfonts gives me a file not found error, and when I look
> for it manually (in a browser) there doesn't appear to be a package.
> I added arkpandora fonts but that made no difference.
>=20
> Also, my concern is more than just web fonts: I want to clean up the
> icons and menus and stuff as well (see the vim screenshots, for
> instance).
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Moy

Get yourself the bitstream fonts, they are really very nice.  You can
get the webfonts and bitstream fonts by doing this:

# cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/bitstream-vera/
# make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/webfonts/
# make install clean

I think you also want to make sure you have in your X config file:

Load  "freetype"      # put this in the module section

and as suggested above put these in your files section:

FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts/"
FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"

Then restart the X server and you should be able to setup your fonts
in the settings panel of gnome somewhere (I dont use gnome) to the
bitstream fonts.  They are very clean.

Chris