Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 03:14:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Fred Nicolls <nicolls@dip.ee.uct.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/29383: ata with HP CD-RW hangs at boot (dual CPU)

>Number:         29383
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       ata with HP CD-RW hangs at boot (dual CPU)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
ASUS CUV4X-D (dual 1000GHz, 1GB RAM) with an IBM deskstar 40GB
disk as master on IDE0 fails to boot when HP 9500 CD-RW is
attached.

Configuration 1:  HP CD-RW as IDE0 slave
boot -v
ata0-master: success setting UDMA5 on VIA chip
ad0:  (etc)
ata0-slave: piomode=4 dmamode=2 udmamode=2 dmaflag=1
ata0-slave: success setting PIO4 on generic chip
(null): REQUEST_SENSE command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices ..
 	(then hang)

Configuration 2: HP CD-RW as IDE1 slave
boot -v
ata0-master: success setting UDMA5 on VIA chip
ad0:  (etc)
ata1-slave: piomode=4 dmamode=2 udmamode=2 dmaflag=1
ata1-slave: success setting PIO4 on generic chip
	(then hang)

Configuration 3:  HP CD-RW as IDE1 master
boot -v
ata0-master: success setting UDMA5 on VIA chip
ad0:  (etc)
ata1-master: piomode=4 dmamode=2 udmamode=2 dmaflag=1
ata1-master: success setting PIO4 on generic chip
	(then hang)

Other information:
- The same system boots FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE okay using the
  generic kernel.
- It does not boot under 4.3-RELEASE using the generic kernel.
- I've tested the CD-RW on an ASUS P2B-DS (also dual) using
  the same 4.3-STABLE kernel that fails on the CUV4X-D, and
  it works fine.
- I managed to boot 4.3-RELEASE on a Gigabyte 6VXDC7 (also dual)
  with the CD-RW drive attached.

Perhaps a problem with the VIA (694XDP) chipset?
>How-To-Repeat:
Try boot FreeBSD 4.X on the hardware configuration described.
>Fix:
Disconnect the CD-RW drive.