Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:14:29 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   broken pipe

Hello,

I have my FreeBSD 2.2.8 installed on a small 80 meg partition at the end of
my hard disk, so I only installed the binaries and man pages.

Well, last night I decided to try to also install the docs, thinking that
if I did not have enough disk space, FreeBSD would just say so.

I was installing via ftp, and sure enough, ran out of disk space. The
installation aborted, and I got a message saying something about a "broken
pipe". I ran the df command and was told my disk was 103% full, and had
negative free space (how can that be???).

I deleted the contents of the /tmp directory, but df gave me the same
response. I deleted several other files, same thing.

Having come from a Windows background, I figured I had to reboot. That is
when all hell broke out. After rebooting, a number of demons just kept
sending messages to my screen that they did not have enough disk space.
Because those messages were constantly scrolling my screen, I was at a
total loss.

I finally figured that while FreeBSD rarely crashes (unlike Windows which
does it all the time), when it does crash, it seems like the end of the world.

Not knowing what else to do, I ended up reinstalling FreeBSD 2.2.8 from
scratch (losing everything I had on the system before, I mean in that 80
meg partition only, not on my Windows partition).

Now I have a couple questions for future reference:

1. If this happens again (broken pipe), how do I recover?

2. How do I tell the daemons to quit sending all those messages? I can read
them the first time they send them, why do they keep repeating them?

3. Where does a pipe store its temporary data? I assume if I could have
just deleted that somehow, I would have been back in business without
having to start from scratch again.

Adam

           ===> Whiz Kid Technomagic <===
             http://www.whizkidtech.net/
    The resource center for webmasters and web users
       Winner of the Starting Point Hot Site award
            Winner of the Lighthouse Award
             Home of the Web Magic Award