Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 1997 22:07:33 -0400
From:      Larry Lile <lslile@lexmark.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why not make the list closed?

Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Yves Lepage wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here's an idea: why not make the list closed? So
> > that only subscribers can post to it?
> >
> I agree, I'm tired of receiving commercial proposals
> and farm boys asking to see nude "chicks".
>
>         Pedro.

Why not wave a dead chicken when you post to the list,
much like posting to alt.sysadmin.recovery.  Except it
would have to be a different kind of chicken.  Have a
bot scan for the chicken and reject anything that does
not have one.  Just make sure that the method is
documented in the faq, web pages, etc...  It could be
something as simple as a token in the subject line to
be stripped out by the bot?

--
Larry Lile
lile@stdio.com