Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 2021 00:31:43 -0600
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: resolvconf

On 11 Apr 2021, at 09:49, Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org> wrote:
> Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org> writes:
>> On 11/04/2021 11:02, @lbutlr wrote:
>>> The man page for resolvecong says there should be a configuration
>>> file at
>>>=20
>>> /etc/resolvconf.conf
>>>=20
>>> But this file foes not exist, and it does not exist in /usr/local/
>>> either.
>>>=20
>>> Right now, resolvconf is adding a DNS server that I do not want to
>>> /etc/resolve.conf and I want to figure out how to prevent this. I
>>> wouldn't mind figuring out what is adding it too, as the IP address
>>> does not appear in any file under /etc/ or /usr/local/etc/
>>>=20
>>> If I create  /etc/resolvconf.conf:
>>>=20
>>> resolvconf NO name_servers 127.0.0.1 x.x.x.x y.y.y.y z.z.z.z
>>>=20
>>> Would that stop whatever it is that is adding the unwanted server
>>> from adding it and only use the servers I specify?
>>=20
>> My /etc/resolvconf.conf just has
>>=20
>> resolvconf=3D"NO"
>>=20
>> to stop it overwriting /etc/resolv.conf, and then I hand craft
>> resolv.conf (this is on a desktop machine where the network doesn't =
change).

I could have done that, I suppose, but since resolveconf seems to be =
baked in, I figured I might as well configure it.

> Mine just has the single line:
>    name_servers=3D"192.168.193.200 192.168.193.1"
> and that creates the resolv.conf with those two name servers.

According to the man page that would not prevent some other service =
adding other resolvers.

>>> When was resolveconf tasked with overwriting the resolver.conf file?
>>> Was this part of moving to FreeBSD 12?
>>=20
>> Earlier than that. I can't remember whether it was 11 or 10.

That is odd, because I know that my server was not using the quad9 DNS =
when I was on 11.2, though I cannot say that it wasn't;t using =
"resolveconf" back then.

> I was using 10.2 when I started using resolvconf.conf.

As far as I know I never started using resolvconf as I had never heard =
of it before a few days ago when I looked at resolve.conf wondering why =
I was hitting 9.9.9.9 on occasions and saw "created by resolveconf" and =
went investigating.

I still do not know where the quad9 DNS that was added came from (simply =
editing resolve.conf did not work, it was immediately put back). I've =
searched for any files contains "9\.9\.9\.9" to no avail, so maybe in a =
DB file?

--=20
The truth isn't easily pinned to a page. In the bathtub of history
	the truth is harder to hold than soap, and much more difficult =
	find...